Monday, March 22, 2010

March 22nd, 2010

Spring Back

Most people love spring.

I don't.

I don't love the puddles cracking open to
their murky bottoms and crusted edges

I don't love the snow that melts and runs and then ices back over again in ugly, uneven patches
threatening passersby with slippery surfaces
I don't love the false hope of sunshine when it's only almost-warm
the way shoes get damp, and then the cold leaches through and stains your socks with a wet that will never, ever dry

and then there's the dogshit

dissolving into the mud, into the sodden lawn
under a dark-edged sky

I don't love the green grass poking up through the fading snow
the burble of a newly woken river
the lyrical voices of birds come home to nest

people say spring is Hope, it's Life, it's yellow chicks portending possibilities

but i only see promises waiting to be broken
in those flowers which are aching to bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment